Sunday, December 6, 2009

FACT: Fantasy Football is legal crack.


OK... maybe that's just my opinion, but I am seriously addicted. This is my first season being involved with it, but it will definitely not be my last!

I can't quite put my finger on what about it that is so addicting. I tend to be pretty competitive so it could be that. Or maybe it can be looked at as a form of self expression (my team name is "Peyton's the Manning). But it can also be quite the power trip. There is something very gratifying about deciding who to bench and who to start or having the power to trade or drop players. I easily spend a couple of hours a week reading up on player information, injury reports, and the analysts' fantasy reports (my personal favorite is the "Start 'em or Sit 'em"... I like to see if my roster decisions match that of the NFL analysts, and so far it usually does).

If that sounds a little crazy to you, then feel free to justify it as a way to work on your problem solving skills. For instance, I am currently facing quite the issue with my fantasy team. I have the best record in my league at 9-1. I have allowed the least amount of points scored and am second highest scoring team in the league. However, my starting (and only) quarterback is Peyton Manning and he has not disappointed this season. But with the Colts moving to 12-0 as of today, I know the Colts will only start him long enough to secure home field advantage for the playoffs, then they will start backup QB Jim Sorgi in order to let Manning rest. This is all fine and dandy for me, except now I have to trade for a new fantasy QB three-quarters of the way through the season, so you can be sure that all of the good free agent QB's have already been drafted. So what do I do now you ask? I pick someone good enough to get me through the end of the season and bolster the rest of my roster with my best point grabbing running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, and defense. See... problem solving skills in action, maybe I will put it on my resume...

Other than my new problem solving skill set, I have also learned more about the game from fantasy than I have ever known before. I can easily have an intelligent and thought provoking football conversation with almost anyone and hold my own against them. And let my tell you, as a "girlie girl", it never fails to make me smile at how much people underestimate my sports knowledge, I just love surprising them.

So bottom line. If you want to learn a lot about the game (and hey, maybe add some new skills to your resume) then this is a great way to do it. I joined a public league on NFL.com because I didn't know enough people interested in football to start my own. I don't know anyone in my league, but that's OK. All I need to know is that I am the only girl in it and it was started by a Marine... so it is possible that as a girl I am beating a bunch of Marines ;)

1 comment: