Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In the words of Tom Hanks - "There's no crying in baseball"... and there shouldn't be any pink either...


As a true sports fan, which I consider myself to be, there is one serious pet peeve of mine- pink sports paraphernalia. Jerseys, hats, etc. Everything these days for the female sports fans is pink, baby blue, or covered in rhinestones. Let me just say something to people who purchase these items... TRUE FANS WEAR THE COLORS! For instance, if you are a Michigan fan... you "bleed" blue and maize... not baby pink and swarovski. I am not saying that owning it is the ultimate sin, by all means, feel free to wear it around the house... but please remember, when game time comes around, it's time for business. Root for your team the right way... and wear the colors.

But it isn't just the pink stuff that drives me crazy. All of the women's stuff these days tends to verge on the trashy and is, in reality, just a watered down version of the men's stuff. For Example. I ordered a football jersey a few years ago, I spent a decent amount of money on it, around $70 to be exact. It worked for me at the time, and still works for me now I suppose. However I was in a sports store back home in Missouri a few weeks ago and they had a children's jersey for $75. That jersey is roughly the same amount of fabric as mine but the quality is infinitely better. My sad little jersey is a wide mesh fabric similar to that of a practice jersey with a number and name that is screen printed on. The junior jersey was a tight, mesh, more on par with an authentic jersey, and all of the numbers and letters are sewn on. Not only that, it still fit slim through the waist like most women want, but was longer in the waist so it isn't verging on being a belly shirt circa 1993.

Is it really too much to ask for to just make the men's stuff for women too? I am not saying that you need to eliminate all of that awful girly frilly stuff, though if I had my way you would... (I mean is it really necessary to have a jersey with pleated sleeves, a bejeweled neckline, and a ruched side tie?). All I am saying is there should be a market of women's sports apparel for us, you know, the true fans, and keep the pastels for the Easter eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment