Tuesday, December 1, 2009

An undefeated season... makes a girl conflicted.

Welcome to my blog... if you are going to be reading this, and hopefully you are... then I should go ahead and warn you. This is a biased author and it's pretty simple- Pro: Indianapolis Colts and St. Louis Cardinals... Anti: New England Patriots and Chicago Cubs. There, glad I got that off my chest.
Now we are well into the throws of a pretty exciting football season so look forward to A LOT of football talk. And to kick off my blog we are going to talk about something that really has me conflicted. The possibility of the Colts having an undefeated season.

Of course I think that it would be amazing if we (and by "we" I mean the Colts, because as a true fan I of course consider myself a part of the team and feel personally offended if they fail) went undefeated and had a perfect season, who wouldn't want that for their team? However lets take a look back at the 2007 New England Patriots. They were on the verge of perfect, no regular season losses. They went 18-1... and that one lone loss came in the Super Bowl against the uber-underdog New York Giants. Here is the question I have though, would they have won the big dance if they had lost just one regular season game? I was listening to some commentary after the Saints/Pats game Monday night and they made a very strong point- if you lose a game, are you better off having the coach rip you a new one, and whip you into shape mid-season so you are somewhat refreshed and re-engergized?

Looking at the rest of the Colts regular season schedule... by far I fell that their biggest threat is the Tennessee Titans. Tennessee's season has been one of extremes. They started their season with quite the losing streak, 0-6. However, Titans owner Bud Adams recently confirmed that he put his foot down and forced head coach Jeff Fischer to start former college star Vince Young. With Young at the helm they have won their last 5... fanning the flames of their Wild Card hopes. Young's aggressive and risky style of play have definitely lit a fire in the Titans (or maybe it was Fischer sporting a Peyton Manning jersey at a charity event so he could "feel like a winner"). This hot streak they are on should definitely be cause for concern amongst Colts fans hoping for that perfect season. Before Sunday, the Colts previous four games and been won by only 10 points... combined. They
are the masters of the close call.

The rest of the teams on their schedule leave little concern for me... sure the Jets have the same 5-6 record as the Titans but they have been the definition of inconsistent this season. The Jaguars have been man-handled by teams that the Colts have already beaten (Seahawks, 49ers, Arizona). The Bills are the Bills and if we lose to them then I will be embarrased. Denver is the only other credible threat on the schedule with a 7-4 record, but I live in Chicago and have seen what Kyle Orton isn't capable of.

So this brings me back to the question, should I be hoping that the Colts lose to either the Titans or Broncos so that they may or may not have a better chance of actually making it past the Chargers in the first round of the playoffs (unlike the last two seasons...)? Or do I want them to have that perfect regular season... with the possibility that they could end up like the '07 Pats... the definition of failure? I am going to go with option 1... I need Manning to start collecting rings so he can once and for all be better the Tom Brady.

No comments:

Post a Comment